Friday, August 8, 2008

The Flight of the Phoenix


Okay, so we are a few hours a way from the start of the opening ceremony. I arrived in the village yesterday and today I’ve been busy hustling from place to place, getting adjusted and familiarized. Tomorrow I’m off to Singapore, where I will stay until the start of my competition. It’s all been pretty wild so far, and I am looking forward to tonight’s opening ceremony. However, in this excitement and whirl wind of getting settled, I can’t help but stop and think about the long road it has taken me to get to this point. I can only say there is power, relief and gratitude in perseverance.

Sometimes when we’re watching the games we forget about those who came close to being a member of the team. We often hear that training for the Olympic Games takes many years, possibly more than a decade. However, to get a chance to compete at the Olympic Games one must first qualify -- and this can be the hardest battle for some athletes. Having narrowly missed qualifying in both 2000 and 2004 for the Olympic Games, I can appreciate this angst. However, perseverance can make an eventual victory that much sweeter. I have no idea what emotions I will feel as I walk out tonight, but I’m almost certain it will be altering experience…. Let the games begin!

Committed to excellence,
Nicole

No comments: