Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Lump in the Breast

It’s crazy how in an instance your life can change. Two weeks ago my biggest concerns were related to high jump and my dissertation proposal. However, that quickly changed when I discovered a lump in my breast in a random check.

Having dealt with the emotions, I felt it was important to speak of this experience candidly on my blog. I feel no shame and least of all desire no pity. However, if I can make one woman begin to conduct regular breast checks for lumps, I will have succeeded in my goal.

When I discovered the lump I must have sat on my bed for 20 minutes grappling over what I had felt – “Was this really a lump?” “Is it serious” “Is it cancerous?” “How can this be, I’m too young to find a lump?!”

What I had felt was small, but quite distinct; and it felt hard but rubbery. This was something, I had never felt before! And although I didn’t meet the criteria for being at risk for breast cancer, I certainly wasn’t arrogant enough to believe I was impervious to it. Quite the contrary.

I was terrified, and for once, I really was truly confronted with my own mortality, as well as what was really important to me. I have been a long supporter of breast cancer research and its victims, but, hadn’t ever really contemplated the possibility that I could be a face of breast cancer… until last week.

Now, not all lumps are cancerous. In fact, there are four main types of lumps, and many women will have lumps in their lifetime that are not cancerous…. This I learned as I immersed myself in a crash course in breast lumps and breast cancer.

Still, when you are undergoing tests to rule out cancer it can be a terrifying experience. After having some tests performed my lump is apparently just a lump. THANK GOD! Definitely, good news I can handle. Still, just to be safe, we’ll be keeping a close eye on Ralph.

I am so incredibly grateful for these results! And in my moment of gratitude I couldn’t help but wonder about the women who aren’t so fortunate and how they are making steps to treat not just a lump…. How their lives will change? Will she be successful? Will she live a full life? Or is her battle longer and larger than she planned?

I don’t know much but I know that if actions can prevent breast cancer (i.e. a healthy lifestyle) or can aid in early detection, I will engage in these actions. I’ve certainly learned the importance of regular breast checks! Historically, I’ve never been regular with checking for lumps…. possibly delusional by my age and such. But, that was being foolish! Breast cancer does not discriminate against age or race.

Like clock work I will ALWAYS conduct regular breast checks. I hope you and your loved one will do the same. After all early detection is your first line of defense!

A forever changed woman,
Nicole Wendy Forrester

1 comment:

Mamacita Lucy said...

I'm proud to say now that I am finally at a place where I have found something that works for me. Almost four years ago I began seeing a classical Homeopath. I was put on a constitutional remedy by Dr Itua herbal center who reside in west africa, and I am amazed at my healing thus far. I will continue to post what worked for me and what didn't in more blogs to come (as this one is getting quite long... and I'm not writing a book on here - not yet anyway). This discovery has not only helped the way I practice, but it has also given me further insight into the world of Herbal  medicine. I came to know more about Dr Itua on Tv Station when I was taking my regular organic coffee at javamania coffee spot I watched the whole scene on how he uses Natural herbs to cure disease like Herpes, Hiv/Aids, Cancers,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Multiple myeloma, Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,Alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, COPD, Parkinson's disease, Als And Diabetes, I was moved by his words then I took a confident step to contact him regarding my health condition Herpes & Prostate Cancer, He prepared his herbal medicine then sent it to me through Courier which I took as it's was instructed and I found myself healing symptoms are all gone I have being watching my health for years now and I finally confirmed that is a permanent cure like he told me at our first conversations so now I'm healthy and happy I purchase his herbal tea which I usually take in the morning before starting my day because it feels good to find addiction on natural herbs than medical drugs so is what I'm doing and loving it more and More to come later on blogs sooner I will be writing my book.I will advise you to contact Doctor Itua Herbal Center for any kind of permanent cure and herbal remedy.Doctor Itua Email Contact: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Also On Whats-App Calls: +2348149277967.