Sunday, October 3, 2010

Commonwealth Games Blog -- Jai Ho!


Well… I’m here… in New Delhi, India for the Commonwealth Games and it is fantastic! In the true spirit and quality of the games, India is doing a great job. The opening ceremony was spectacular, the food is great and the village, as well as, the amenities available brings back memories of the Beijing Olympic Games. One really cool feature of the village that I like is having a practice track stadium within the village. Most times the practice facilities are outside of the village and a 30min, sometimes even an hour drive.

The Commonwealth Games is the LARGEST multisport event of the year, involving 71 countries and occurring once every 4 years! The games began in 1930 and were originally called the British Empire Games. As long as I can remember, I’ve always watched the Commonwealth Games, with much admiration and excitement.

In fact, the Commonwealth Games are very dear to me, as it is one of the first major teams I was a member of. I can remember watching the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, British Columbia with awe and excitement, never dreaming a day would come when I would participate in the games, much less the very next one – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have since gone on to run in the Queen’s Baton Relay, be a member of 4 Commonwealth Games teams, and win a bronze medal. I am blessed! It just goes to show, you never know what dreams the future will deliver!

With much respect to my competitors, I look towards New Delhi with great personal expectations! In the words of the Black Eyed Peas, “I gotta feeling, that New Dehli is gonna be a good, good, games….woohooo!” Let the games begin!

Jai Ho! (Be Victorious!)
Nicole

No comments: