Monday, May 31, 2010

The Climb

The Climb

     “It is not the nature of man - nor of any living entity - to start out by giving up, by spitting in one’s own face and damning existence; that requires a process of corruption whose rapidity differs from man to man.  Some give up at the first touch of pressure; some sell out; some run down by imperceptible degrees and lose their fire, never knowing when or how they lost it… Yet a few hold on and move on, knowing that that fire is not to be betrayed, learning how to give it shape, purpose and reality.  But whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man’s nature and of life’s potential.” (Ayn Rand, 1968)

     Life is good…. Life is really good… I mean sometimes it’s easy for us to look at where we are in life and think I don’t have the car I want, I don’t have the job I want, I don’t have the house I want… I don’t have… I don’t have… I don’t have… and forget about what we do have…

     I’ve been in Europe for almost a week now and as I take a break this week to train and collect myself, I can’t help thinking that I am fortunate to be a professional athlete travelling the world and competing at a world class level in a sport I love.  I mean I was almost 18 years old when I first learned how to high jump, discovered working at some McDonald’s restaurant and look at where it has lead me to.

     It’s no secret for anyone that has been following my 2010 outdoor performances thus far, that I have yet to have the performances for this outdoor season I am capable of having and should have, especially given my indoor performances.  And for a moment there I’ve been frustrated and annoyed… But, in retrospect I know I will be grateful and I am grateful for this outdoor start.  Because only through struggles can you truly be appreciative of performances that are stellar.  And that is what I love about track and field.  I don’t care who you are, the longer you are in this sport the more likely you are going to have performances that resemble a rollercoaster.   Great performances coupled with valley performances.  And only the face of humility will allow you to last in such a sport demanding a personal best, a maximal effort, every time you compete!  At the end of the day, the only opinion that should matters is our own.  And my commitment to this sport till 2012 (bearing in mind it remains fun and I am healthy) is to explore and understand this event called the high jump as it relates to me and my abilities.

     Too many times, I believe the spirit of man is easily broken when confronted with challenge.  It’s easy to look and see all the reasons why not, instead of seeing the one reason WHY it is possible.  So, for me, I know what I’m working on and my objectives for the season.  While my start may appear slow and inferior, as long as it gets me to my final destination, I’ve determined, I’m learning to be okay with what may come in the mean time.  For now, I’m enjoying my view from my room in Germany and the body God has put me in.  Because, Life is Good.

     My question for you, is if you were to consider the various true passions of your life, how have you been challenged in your pursuit?  How many of your passions have you pressed on and fully pursued and how many did you reconsider to redefine a new passion to fill its place?  Any regrets? 

     Life is good and can be as great as you shape it to be.  We all just have to be a little bit hungry, patient and persistent for it.

Climbing,

Nicole


No comments: