Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Olympic Games: The Opening Ceremony


As I prepare for London 2012 I am beyond excited and filled with nerves… Not a day passes where I don’t think about this destination and what I hope to accomplish.  And truly it is about the journey… We as athletes are sealing our fate daily.

While the Olympic Games are about competition, there isn’t enough that can be said about the opening ceremony.  The opening ceremony marks the beginning of the Olympic Games. Across the world, families are gathered in front of their television to watch this. 

As an athlete participating in the opening ceremony…. it is an experience I don’t believe I’ll ever be able to explain….

(yes, that's me at the end)

Singing OH! CANADA! at the top of my lungs with the rest of my fellow Canadian athletes, was a moment epitomizing the pride I have for my country… I mean there we are among the best in the world in what we do, standing shoulder to shoulder, representing our country with pride and honour all in the name of SPORT! 

To be an Olympian is something many athletes strive for and few of us are humbly able to achieve.  It is a capstone to that pursuit of excellence and possibly the entrance to a more paramount performance.  Perhaps, during the course of the games the opening ceremony may be the only time we experience the Olympic Games… Once the opening ceremony has ended, it is back to business and the intensity of competition rises to a level one may never have experienced before!


 493 days and counting for the London 2012,
Nicole

No comments: