Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How I Began High Jumping -- The McDonald's Story

The push for talent identification is an area I have concerns with for various reasons; mainly, stemming from the research in this area. 

But, on another level, I can’t help wondering how much future “Great One’s” we are overlooking simply because the resources, opportunities and exposure are just not available.  Talk to many Winter Sports athletes, and I’m sure you’ll discover their entrance into their sport occurred from opportunity colliding with coincidence.

As for me, my story is much the same.  Yes, it’s true… I was discovered working at McDonald’s when I was 17 years old.  Many of my competitors at that age are on their way of mastering the skill of high jump… And I didn’t even know how to high jump much less run.

This week I thought I’d share a video blog of how & where my road to the Olympic Games began for me. If you missed my jumps in the Beijing Olympic Games this video has a few of them in it. 



Ultimately the moral of my story is anything is possible!  We’ve just got to be ready for opportunities when they come our way and make the most of them… And for anyone so biased by talent identification, I wouldn’t stack all my cards on an early bloomer.  You might have the next gold medalist in Rowing serving you fries with your Big Mac.

Limitless,
Nicole

No comments: