Monday, May 16, 2011

A Letter of Thanks... How Sports Has Personally Influenced My Life

Dear Sports,
I am not sure if there are words to describe how you have impacted my life.   I’m incredibly indebted to you. 
Thank you Sports for teaching me that anything I put my mind to, I can achieve!  You have taught me that effort is more important than ability.  You have taught me the value of learning and mastering a skill and through this I am able to conquer any challenge – whether with you or in any other realm of my life.
Sports you have created a fire in me, which is committed to achieving excellence.  The teachings I’ve learned from you have allowed me to excel academically with honors.  Even now as I complete my PhD, I can’t help feeling that how I approach learning and problem-solving is still reminiscent of you, Sports.  I am constantly using the skills I’ve learned via you in my studies and everything I do.
Sports you have taught me that I will fail more times than I will win.  But, through persevering through my failures and realizing what I’ve learned along the way, I am better positioned to not only succeed the next time I try, but surpass my initial objectives.  I know no barrier thanks to you!  When someone tells me it can’t be done, I think “Maybe for you… Where there’s a will there’s always a way, and I just have to find that way.”
Sports you’ve allowed me to have a resting heart rate of 43, a body composition of 7.8% body fat and a blood pressure level that as a doctor once said “This is obviously the benefits of Sports.”  Oh, how I do value health because of you!!!  I am committed to healthy living.  I see myself becoming something like the Jack Lalanne (female version) even after I retire from my professional level with you.  I’ll be knowing you until  my deathbed… and even then I imagine I might be doing leg raises or some exercise in bed as I gasp for my last breath.
I have travelled to more than forty countries thanks to you, including places I never knew existed. I’ve learned and experienced various cultures and developed a fond appreciation for diversity.  I’ve met incredible people along the way including presidents, royalties, celebrities, philanthropists and people who are just simply good persons inside.
Sports you’ve allowed me to develop lifelong friends with people who have also benefited from you in their lives.  These friends are also committed to excellence and are rapidly becoming a force to reckon with.  They make me want to be a better Nicole.  And I know they attribute much of who they are because of you Sports, as well.
Sports you have taught me the importance of caring for others and the responsibility we all have as a society to volunteer…. Striving for altruism.   I am committed to helping others achieve excellence!
I walk with confidence and assurance because of you Sports.  I feel blessed beyond words.  I know with certainty I would not be the woman I am today without you in my life.  I am a better person all because you have entered my life.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you and I love you Sports!
Nicole

No comments: