Saturday, June 14, 2008

The balancing act of school and athletics

In addition to pursuing the Olympic dream, I’m also pursuing a doctorate degree in Sports Psychology at Michigan Sate University. I have just passed my comprehensive exams. This makes me officially a doctorate candidate. This is a huge milestone for any doctoral program.

The exams tested my knowledge in sports psychology and 3 other subject areas, determining my eligibility to continue onto my dissertation. I can honestly say I’ve never worked so hard academically. My exams involved a series of 4 written exams and a 2 hour oral exam, spanning 6 weeks. Just about any question was fair game.

Preparation for the comprehensive exams took months. The process was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. My brain was on fire and I felt like I aged 20 years in the process. But, I survived.

It has been challenging at times to dually pursue athletics and a PhD. But, it’s also been a blessing, since the roads to success are similar for both areas. In fact, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Upwards and Onwards,
Nicole

No comments: