Sunday, October 26, 2008

Understanding Myself...

This weekend I headed home to attend a Canadian Post-Olympic Series. It was a weekend seminar designed to help Olympians in transition, specifically those retiring or thinking about retiring. As, I’ve written in my previous blogs I actually DON’T have any plans of retiring. Nonetheless, I still believed I could gain from this workshop, as I will be an athlete in transition in the near future, concerning my academics.

Currently, I am working on my dissertation – a journey of its own. A long journey, this is the last pit stop in my realm of doctoral studies. For as long as I have been a National Team Athlete I have also been a student-athlete. The anticipated transition from a student athlete, to hopefully a student and entrepreneur title, is one I’d like to begin preparing for now… well in advance! This to me is a massive transition that fills me both with fears and excitement!

Armed with an elevated interest in the weekend ahead of me, what I walked away from this experience was something I didn’t expect. There were many messages provided for us the athletes – ensuring academic achievements, not being afraid to ask for help, embracing challenges, applying attributes used in our sports world to life… and the list goes on.

However, there was one message, that rung strong with me – the idea of knowing yourself. Stripped away of my Olympian title, Championship records and the various medals I’ve won along the way, leaves me as simply Nicole Wendy Forrester. An identity, I am most comfortable with. In fact, I never describe myself as an athlete or let strangers know of my athletic pursuits. Not for shame, but because I see that as something I do, and not who I am.

But, who am I? I’d like to believe I know myself, but I don’t believe I’ve spent the time and reflection this question deserves. In truth, we must all have an honest understanding of who we truly are to move forward; to be able to offer our services to others; and to be able to have a successful relationship.

Does anyone really know who they are? Or do we think we know who we are? I would also add, routines can fool us into believing we understand who we are, but every now and then I think it is a fair question to ponder about ourselves.

Perhaps, this question struck a cord with me because of my long term goals. My entrepreneurial designs are set on helping others and organizations achieve optimal performance. So, at this moment I am taking the necessary time to really consider who I am and compare it with the type of woman I want to be.

So, I ask you – how often do you consider who you are? Are you the type of person you want to be? And if not, when would now be a good time to start?

Deeply considering myself,
Nicole

No comments: