Thursday, January 27, 2011

The 2012 Olympic Games and 2011 World Championships Are Upon Us...ARE YOU READY?

We are exactly one and a half years away to the start of the 2012 London Olympic Games AND also exactly 8 months away from the 2011 World Championships in Athletics…. And I can promise you the time is about to fly!

I am truly excited, yet fully aware of what awaits me in the coming months.  Just a few weeks ago my friends and I went out for dinner.  We are all Olympians and between the four of us, we’ve amassed more medals at a major championship than I could even begin to guess.   We all agreed that the year leading into the Olympic Games is actually not as fun as people would assume.  It is riddled with a roller coaster of emotions, intensity, fear, happiness, a certain degree of selfishness, and  yet a powerful passion for excellence. 

Moreover, Track & Field (Athletics) is the last team to name their Olympic team.  Selection is not finalized until a month before the games.  So, while other athletes are preparing for competition in London, track athletes are still waiting to secure their selection.  The term stressed, is an understatement.  And in the months leading into the Olympic Games the constant question "Are you going to the Olympic Games?" can become a source of anxiety.
The Olympic Games is the pinnacle for most amateur sports.  Essentially, everything you’ve worked for as an athlete is on the line.  Many athletes will pursue the dream of becoming an Olympian and making it to the podium, and few will achieve it!   I can remember feeling like I aged 20 years in the process in my qualification for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.  But, I can also remember the incredible feeling of this achievement, which definitely made the journey worth it.     
This time around my objectives are different and much more challenging.  I am climbing a mountain, and I am making sure I have my A-team on board to help me with this journey.  This year is crucial and will serve as a penultimate to the Olympic Games.  One of the most important things I’m after for the next year and a half is stability.  Controlling the relationships I form, the training plan implemented and competition schedules in place are all critical components.  Personally, I know this will be the last time I will ever compete at an Outdoor World Championships and the Olympic Games, which makes the journey I’m embarking on feel as if I am in a do or die scenario.  And I absolutely LOVE this feeling!
Things are about to get intense… Thank goodness I’m a pretty intense woman.  Welcome 2011 World Championships and the 2012 Olympic Games… I’ve been waiting for you!
On a mission,
Nicole

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blogs Nicole. I love how you channel the stress of the selection process in to something, should I say euphoric? All the best in as you head in to the spring phase of 2011.

Ray

Anonymous said...

Hello Nicole:)

I am so happy to have found your blog. My name is Eliza, I am from Romania and I am working on my paper for English Competence- the topic I have chosen is "London 2012".

Could you please offer me a short interview concerning the Olympic Games? It is really important for my final mark!

Please send me an e-mail and I will give you further details!

E-mail adress: lizzaa_1292@yahoo.com

Many Thanks,
Eliza

Charlotte said...

This is great written