Sunday, June 19, 2011

Shaping a Daughter's Life - Happy Father's Day, Dad!

The role of a father should never be underestimated especially when it comes to raising a girl. It is this relationship that influences the relationships a daughter will have with others, especially men, in the future.

On this and every father’s day, I thank my father, Leo. His incredible influence has shaped me into the woman I am today. Indeed, I am a strong woman who is also a Tom Boy at heart because of him. He’s taught me fundamental principles of life, like determination, commitment, being responsible and treating others with kindness (just to name a few).

He is my fishing buddy, a ritual we’ve started since I was a kid. I’ve caught my biggest fish with him and my red devil lure. He is also my golfing buddy, who is always willing to give me a mulligan or two. And even when I’m 20 strokes behind him, he’s cheering me on and pointing out how my short game is improving or my drive is becoming strong… Always, seeing the upside in what I do.

He was there to teach me how to drive, displaying extreme patience as I would jackrabbit the car while learning manual. My love of wine and black coffee definitely rings of his influence.

The many long hours of discussions we’ve had about life, politics and religion is second to none. I love those days…. A Saturday looking out on the lake engaged in a serious discussion while taking note of the beauty of nature that surrounds us. Priceless.

He is definitely a best friend and someone I rely on for a solid opinion. It’s not often, but I can always sense when he has some concern with a decision I’m making. He never raises his voice or outwardly tells me I’m making a bad decision. Instead, the tone of his voice changes to one of concern, followed by “You just might want to make sure…” And he’s usually right.

He believes in me in more ways than I probably realize… When I told him the other day about the various endeavors I was newly engaged in, his response was simple “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

I feel blessed to have the father that I have. Thank you Dad!

I struggled today to find a song that would demonstrate the influence of a father. I found myself settling on Daughters by John Mayer because it reinforces the power a father has on a daughter. The absence of a father - one that walks out or just isn’t their emotionally - has lasting effects. We are in the cycle of life and for women to grow up strong and be good to their children and their spouse and all those they interact with, it is the relationship with a father that might influence this most!

To all the wonderful father's out there, Happy Father's Day to you!

Nicole




Daughters by John Mayer

I know a girl
She puts the color inside of my world
But she's just like a maze
Where all of the walls all continually change
And I've done all I can
To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands
Now I'm starting to see
Maybe it's got nothing to do with me

Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Oh, you see that skin?
It's the same she's been standing in
Since the day she saw him walking away
Now she's left
Cleaning up the mess he made

So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without the warmth from
A woman’s good, good heart

On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world

So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too [x3]

No comments: